Monday, March 16, 2009

I Am From...

In my writing class today I had to write a poem about me and my childhood memories. I am not a poet in any way shape or form but I was pleased with the memories I came up with.

I Am From...
I am from a bunk bed that squeaks when I jump on it,
I bounce from my little sister’s lower bunk to my top bed.
My personal shelf hangs above my head with my prized possessions.
Dad helped me make the wooden shelf a few years earlier.

I am from “Choose the Right”
And “I Am a Child of God.”
Follow the golden rule,
And sing the kindness song when you have done someone wrong.

I am from oat meal at every breakfast.
Bean flopovers and peanut butter sandwiches for lunch.
Favorite dinners were Beef stroganoff, Chinese dinner, and shepherds pie.
Fruit pizza, kino floats, and orange popsicles were wonderful treats.

I am from a big family and I love it.
Eighty cousins on one side and thirty-five on the other.
Talking, laughing, playing and crying
Can always be heard at family gatherings.

I am from playing games such as
10 to 1 and Presidents or Scum with rook cards
The marble game built by Dad.
Uno, connect four, and I spy.

I am from dolls, dress-ups and playing house
Floating in buckets down the irrigation ditch
Raising chicks and ducks, kittens and puppies,
Cows, pigs, turkeys and more…

I am from a yard full of wonder and imagination
A one acre lot full of trees, grass, a playhouse, forts,
An irrigation ditch in the back.
And Grandma Bevell living two doors down.

I am from fruit growing in every shape, flavor and size in my yard.
Apples and oranges, lemons and limes. grapefruits, tangerines and kinos,
Pears and grapes, figs and pecans, blackberries, peaches and apricots,
Dates and last of all plums.
You never went hungry because food grew all around!

I am from hot summer days in Lehi
Swimming in the mettle pool or
Playing in the sprinklers
And eating huge watermelon slices in the grass in the shade.

3 comments:

Durfee Family said...

That was beautiful Celeste! You make childhood sound wonderful! (As it should be!)I hope my kids have as wonderful memories as you do!

lizlaughs said...

I love that Celeste. You did a great job. Those are great memories.

Holly Janeen said...

WHAT??? casey... you have a blog??? um, why am i just now finding this?